|Sunday, January 30th, 2005|
The next game will be on Friday, February 18 at Jesse and Diana's place. We have to skip Feb 4 because of Steph's birthday and skip Feb 11 because of the Young Democrats Convention in Annapolis. You're all encouraged, of course, to come to Annapolis with us on the 11th.
Diana's sister Julie has talked about joining the group. If she wants to play, she needs to have her character posted on the wiki by game time.
|Thursday, January 13th, 2005|
Home Pages update
I have rebuilt my entire home page structure as a wiki. Mostly, I just moved existing content into the wiki using a similar structure but I have added some new content. The new site is where the old one was, but I've set up a subdomain for myself at adam.legendary.org
(I haven't quite gotten the RewriteRules correct in Apache yet, though, so ignore the extra /adam in the paths for now. ;))
I haven't yet uploaded the pictures from the old News section. I need to upgrade mediawiki to the 1.4 beta version so I can use the new Gallery features
|Wednesday, January 12th, 2005|
It's been a long time since an update. The holidays were busy and stuff, so here's what's been added to the site since the beginning of December:Events
New Pages Modified Pages Discussion Miscellaneous
- We had two games! One with a guest, Jen, playing Elisiana's best friend, Ashleigh. A second game last Friday.
- We got vandalized (see bottom of page) by GoogleBot. I cleaned up the mess, blocked it, and wrote up an analysis.
|Monday, November 29th, 2004|
New PagesModified Pages
In the future, I want to draw a more detailed map of the Kingdom of Essonay. It'll take some time though.
|Saturday, November 27th, 2004|
The last real update was November 10. Here's what's changed since then.
- I put up a campaign contract to discuss the expectations of the campaign.
- I posted a log of our first event, character generation.
- I created a character sheet template for use by players to post their character stats.
- I filled in some information about Csyani, the evil sorcerer-scion of Talasz.
- I added a quick and dirty page to point to Towers MUSH.
- My brother Jason wrote a page about the Essonay military.
- I wrote up a list of some of the differences between how spells work in this game compared to the stock rules.
- I tweaked the current events page with an update about our first game.
- I updated Mike's character, Andor, to use the new template.
- Lisa added stats and stuff to her character, Elisiana, and added the new template.
- SarahScott added Keilyn's bonds to her sheet.
- Petja had some comments on the Character Bonds system.
- Swift2plunder asked about the lifespan of elves.
- SarahScott and I discussed her character background on AIM and I posted a log of it.
|Wednesday, November 24th, 2004|
I just learned this today while searching the mediawiki.org
site to see how to get printable pages. If you're using the monobook
skin (if you don't know, then you are), then printable pages are set up using Cascading Style Sheets. All you have to do is print a web page from your (relatively modern) browser and it will automatically print a "printable" version without all the web site dressing. I tested it. It's cool.
|Tuesday, November 23rd, 2004|
I put a few images back up, redid the style sheets, and prettified things. I chose a different color scheme this time. Something in greens to reflect the world's natural themes. =)
If you find anything that looks teh funkay, let me know.Site here
|Sunday, November 21st, 2004|
Due to a comedy of errors, I managed to delete my Towers wiki installation tonight. Rather, a backup script that was intended to create backups of it did. Before I explain what happened, let me say that all of the content is safe and most of the site is restored.
I had written a shell script to "walk" the site and create html pages for every content page, then zip those up in a file every Saturday night. It was going to be used for a downloadable copy of the site for Mike and others who wanted to be able to view this stuff when not connected to the net.
When I implemented the towers.legendary.org domain, I decided to move the towers directory out from under my public_html directory to the root level for additional security. I forgot that the backup shell script wiped out the ~adam/towers directory as its first action. Doh.
Luckily, mediawiki stores all its data in a mysql database and not in files. What was deleted were all the PHP scripts that make the site "go." Those are easily restored, minus the changes I made to them for special functionality. Here's what I lost and need to recover or rebuild:
- my custom changes to mediawiki, such as the Recentchangessince page -- I may have a copy of those over on my nomic site
- several images including the one used as the site logo -- these should be fairly easy to restore
- the customized monobook stylesheet that made the site look "pretty" and gave me two- and three-column pages -- I'll need to do this over
Everything else is fine. It gave me quite a scare though, so I need to make sure I get some offsite backups going. I'd cry if I lost all my work to-date.
|Monday, November 15th, 2004|
Players, how's Saturday, December 4 from 5PM-midnight for the first game?
Jesse and Ana, can you host again?
|Wednesday, November 10th, 2004|
|Tuesday, November 9th, 2004|
More stuff!New Pages
- Added pages for Base Classes, Prestige Classes, and Feats off the Rules page. These are just one-line descriptions of rules from five different AEG products. Did not complete entering all the Swashbuckling Adventures feats (only A - I). Eleven new base classes, over 50 prestige classes, and almost 200 feats listed.
- Updated the Canonical Texts to include five books from Alderac Entertainment Group: Swashbuckling Adventures, War, Guilds, Secrets, and Empire.
- Got the Essonay Family Tree working as a clickable image map.
Lots of new stuff! My favorite is the Essonay Family Tree
. Unfortunately, I had to hack a lot of security stuff out
of mediawiki to get it to let me use a number of HTML tags and attributes. Why can't mediawiki support image maps?Player Characters
Jesse updated Tyrus
with some abilities.New PagesEssonay Family Tree
-- It's an image map. That means you can click on any name in the tree and go see that person's page. I can move stuff around if needed.The Daily Gossip
is stuff your character may have heard around town. Adventure hooks!
A whole slew of new towns got stub pages. Stuff that had been mentioned on the Geography (Essonay)
page got their own pages but often the content is just cutnpaste from the former page. See the Geography (Essonay)
page for a list of towns and interesting places.
Some information on the Kunderic
languages and peoples.
An enemy border keep, Horlezy Keshp
, gets a mention.
Since Friday, November 5 around 5 PM ET:Characters! New Pages
- Wrote up the first draft of the Warden class.
- The new Factions page briefly describes 27 groups in and around Essonay. More to come!
- Wrote a bit about the Agersiin, the elite guard of the Essonay castle.
- The Canonical Texts page now includes a link to the System Reference Document (open source D&D rules) on the Wizards of the Coast website. You can check out the rules any time now!
- Various redirects created to point first names of people to the right pages.
- Some categorization work.
- Coded some PHP hacks so that there's a "Recent changes since you last checked" page (requires you to log in).
|Friday, November 5th, 2004|
New Pages Changes
- Added a note that Rusland (king-dad) drinks. Perhaps too much. Also did some wife-swapping. Er, swapped his wives so that the elf was the current one (for chargen purposes). Tweaked the Timeline and other pages to match.
- Update the Community Portal page to list all our readers and contributors.
- Lisa named her character.
|Monday, November 1st, 2004|
I wiki fixy quicky. Was sicky. Yicky. Password for nomic wiki sticky. Kickykicky, now not so picky.
I broke my wiki!
Yeah, that sounds painful, doesn't it?
I was messing around with stuff this morning and now the towers wiki can't connect to the database. I suspect I broke something when I ran the config script for the nomic wiki I set up. I'll look into it when I get home from work. Never fear.
|Thursday, October 28th, 2004|
Read about spirits
and how they fit into this world and what they mean in game terms. I think it's pretty slick. It neatly explains what levels and hit points and item enhancement bonuses mean in terms of the setting.
|Wednesday, October 27th, 2004|
A flurry of activity in the last 24 hours. New Pages
- Lisa posted her first thoughts about her character.
- I wrote a List of Bests that tells you where the tallest mountain is, who the most powerful wizard is, and where the best swords are made (etc.).
- A stub page for Ambrudos Csanyi, the evil scion-sorcerer who plagues Essonay. Anyone want to add ideas to this?
- Rituals get some more detail, with some crunchy rules and some examples of some rituals.
- Fighters no longer get heavy armor proficiency for free, but they get unarmed strike instead.
- Similar update in the Feats section of the chargen page.
- I updated the Player Characters page with a reminder that we'll use a Balanced Campaign at start — so Gestalt characters are not available.
- Rewrote the Magic (Essonay) so it may as well be totally new.
|Tuesday, October 26th, 2004|
I added a couple little things right after I posted yesterday's update. There was some discussion later.New PagesModified PagesDiscussion
- Petja pointed out a problem with my skill focus rules and I responded on this talk page.